Season 7 of fortnite began with teases to the hoverboard: a mobility vehicle for single players. Finally, near the end of Season 7, it has been released in the v7.40 patch. Dubbed ‘The Driftboard’, it is guaranteed to be a fun mobility vehicle to use for stunts and awesome trick shots.
The hoverboard, although a long awaited item which was teased from the start (and was in the week 4 loading screen), is not gonna stick around as said by Epic. Why it is a limited time item Epic didn’t tell the reason, but there might’ve been problems for Epic.
It will stay till mid Season 8 atleast, atleast we hope. We wouldn’t wanna miss seeing our free battlepass skins on the Driftboards would we?
This would explain why it got released so late in the season (literally on the Overtime period of the Season). Like the jetpack, this might also be something that would pop up in an LTM or two here and there, but it certainly won’t be a permanent thing in normal games.
Heres the details that Epic gave regarding the hoverboard in it’s patchnotes:
- Use weapons or consumables as you ride the slopes. Boost past the competition with electrifying speed. Loot and revive downed allies. All without ever getting off the Driftboard!
- Building is not possible while on the Driftboard.
- Can be found scattered all around the map
The Driftboard isn’t the only change which came with the new patch. Epic released two new fun limited time modes:
- Two teams of 32 players.
- All Chests and Ammo Boxes have been removed.
- Red Supply Drops fall all over the map, each containing a Driftboard, weapons, and ammo.
- Health and Shields slowly regenerate when riding on a Driftboard.
Available items and grenades:
- Smoke Grenades
- Remote Explosives
- Impulse Grenades
- Shockwave Grenades
- Chest spawns and Floor Spawns set to 100.
- Can only get consumables out of Chests, Floor Loot, and Supply Drops.
- Increase Supply Drops throughout the game.
- Faster circle times.
- Increased drop stack counts.
Furthermore, there have been some minor tweaks. These are mainly related to the floor spawn rates of certain items.
Which include Balloons (1.08% –> 0.73%), Gliders (1.85% –> 1.2%) and Dual Pistols (1.39% –> 0.66%).
Full patch notes