I know you know this but there are hundreds of iPhone, iPad and iPod users joining the jailbreak community on daily basis therefore I thought to write this short post to just give precise overview of common terms:
Difference between Tethered, Untethered and SemiTethered Jailbreak
- Tethered Jailbreak - A tethered jailbreak means that each time you reboot your iDevice, the boot process will fail (you’ll get stuck on the Apple logo). To get around this you will need to plug your iDevice back into your computer and re-run the jailbreaking tool like Redsn0w and select “Just boot tethered”.
- Untethered Jailbreak - An untethered jailbreak means that your iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad will function as normal as it was before jailbreak.
- SemiTethered Jailbreak - SemiTethered Jailbreak means that you still have a Tethered Jailbreak but if you want to reboot your iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad, it will re-boot into a semi-functioning state where you can use apps such as Phone/SMS etc but not Cydia and Safari. To work with jailbroken apps you need to reboot tethered by using the jailbreak tool.
Difference between Stock firmware and Custom firmware
- iOS Stock firmware – This firmware officially come from apple and may or may not update your iDevice baseband automatically.
- iOS Custom firmware – This firmware do not include baseband on it. So you don’t have to worry by getting your baseband change/update. This is only possible by excluding the baseband using redsn0w or sn0wbreeze jailbreaking tools by selecting stock firmware to make a new custom firmware.
Difference Between Unlock and Jailbreak
- Jailbreak - Allows you to install 3rd party applications, customize graphics, sounds, etc.
- Unlock - Allows you to use the phone on networks other than AT&T or the one to whom you registered.
Posted in jailbrake, Jailbreak, Jailbreak News, Tips & Tricks, TWEAKS Tagged with: SemiTethered Jailbreak, tethered, untethered
Below is the step wise guide on how to jailbreak ios 5.1 semitethered. Please note that this jailbreak for ios 5.1. is not compatible with iPhone 4S, ipad 2 and the new ipad that was released yesterday. If you want to jailbreak ios 5 on iphone 4S and iPad2/3 it is recommended that you keep on existing iOS 5.0.1 and refrain from updating to ios 5.1. You can jailbreak 5.0.1 using Absinthe for iPhone 4S and iPad 2. The jailbreak which you will get by following procedure is semi-tethered which means you have to apply the last steps every time you need to restart your device. Similarly if you need to unlock or you already have unlocked your device it is better to not update to ios 5.1.
For Absinthe Jailbreak Click Here to go to Absinthe section.
Other iOS 5.1 / iOS 5.0.1 Tutorials:
Following are the steps on How To Jailbreak 5.1
Step 1: Download latest version of RedSn0w 0.9.10b6 by clicking below links:
Step 2: Extract the zip file and run the RedSn0w.exe file to start the redsn0w jailbreak process.
Step 3: There are two buttons “Extras” and “Jailbreak”, click Jailbreak to jailbreak and install Cydia
Step 4: Follow the instructions given on Next screen and put your iPhone/iPod Touch in DFU mode. Press Next.
Step 5: Follow the screen instructions to put your device in DFU mode. RedSn0w will detect iPhone and start installation of jailbreak and select “Install Cydia” when asked. (If this process does not start you can follow steps to put your device in DFU mode as instructed by clicking Next in previous step again). Close RedSn0w.
Step 6: Boot Tethered your iphone or iPod touch 4g: Restart RedSn0w by double clicking the RedSn0w.exe file.
Go to Extra option and click “Just Boot”
Your iDevice will restart and now it is jailbroken tethered.
Note: This is a tethered jailbreak and if you need to reboot your iphone you need to do step 6 each time therefore you need computer to reboot your iPod touch 4g.
If this ios 5.1 jailbreak is not working for you, you can try Sn0wbreeze ios 5.1 jailbreak software by visiting How to jailbreak ios 5.1 using SnowBreeze
Posted in Cydia, How to, iOS, ios 5.1.0, Jailbreak, Untethered 5.0.1 Tagged with: 3g, 3gs, 5.0, 5.0.1, 5.0.1 jailbreak, 5.1, 5.1 jailbreak, 5.1 jailbreak download, 5.1 jailbreak untethered, 5.1 untethered, 5.1 untethered jailbreak, Absinthe, distance learning, how to jailbreak 5.1, how to jailbreak iphone 4 5.1 untethered, how to jailbreak iphone 4s 5.1, ios 5, ios 5 jailbreak, ios 5 untethered jailbreak, ios 5.0, iOS 5.0.1, ios 5.0.1 jailbreak, ios 5.1 jailbreak, ios 5.1 jailbreak download, ios 5.1 jailbreak untethered, ios 5.1 jailbreak untethered iphone 4, ios 5.1 untethered jailbreak, ios 5.1 untethered jailbreak iphone 4s, ios 5.1 untethered jailbreak redsn0w, ios 5.1jailbreak, iOS untethered, ios5.1 jailbreak, ipad, ipad 2 absinthe, ipad 5.1 jailbreak, ipad jailbreak, ipad jailbreak 5.1, iPhone, iphone 4 5.1 jailbreak, iphone 4 5.1 untethered jailbreak, iphone 4 ios 5.1 jailbreak, iphone 4 jailbreak 5.0.1, iphone 4 jailbreak 5.1, iphone 4s 5.1 jailbreak, iphone 4s ios 5.1 jailbreak, iphone 4s ipad 2, iphone 4s jailbreak 5.1, iphone 5.1 jailbreak, iphone jailbreak 5.0.1, iphone jailbreak 5.1, iPhone4, iPhone4S, iPhone4s jailbreak, ipod touch, jail brake, jail break, jail break iphone4, jail breake, jailbrake, jailbreak, jailbreak 5, jailbreak 5.0, jailbreak 5.0.1, jailbreak 5.1, jailbreak 5.1 iphone 4, jailbreak 5.1 ipod touch 4g, jailbreak 5.1 untethered, jailbreak 5.1 untethered iphone 4, jailbreak for 5.1, jailbreak for ios 5.1, jailbreak ios 5, jailbreak ios 5 untethered, Jailbreak iOS 5.0.1, jailbreak ios 5.1, jailbreak ios 5.1 ipad 2, jailbreak ios 5.1 untethered, jailbreak ios 5.1 untethered iphone 4, jailbreak ios5.1, jailbreak ipad 2 ios 5.1, jailbreak ipad 2 ios 5.1 untethered, jailbreak ipad 5.1, jailbreak iphone 3gs 5.1, jailbreak iphone 4 5.0.1, jailbreak iphone 4 5.1, jailbreak iphone 4 5.1 untethered, jailbreak iphone 4s 5.1, jailbreak iphone 4s 5.1 untethered, jailbreak iphone 4s ios 5.1, jailbreak iphone 5.1, jailbreak ipod 5.1, jailbreak ipod touch 4g 5.1, jailbreak ipod touch 5.0.1, jailbreak ipod touch 5.1, jailbreak nation, jailbreakme, jailbreakme 5.0.1, jailbreakme ios 5, jailbreakme.com 5.0.1, jailbreaknation, masters degree, red snow, RedSn0w, redsnow, redsnow 5.1 download, un tethered, untethered, untethered jailbreak 5.1, untethered jailbreak for iPhone4, untethered jailbreak ios 5, untethered jailbreak ios 5.1, untethered jailbreak ios 5.1 iphone 4, www.jailbreakme.com 5.0.1
Download A5 jailbreak for the iPhone 4S and iPad 2 from the link below. This new jailbreak has been released today and this is one of the most awaited jailbreaks so far, because in future all were released in less time as compared to this ios 5 jailbreak iPhone 4S. This time we have got different options for jailbreaking that are mentioned in our jailbreak tutorial.
Absinthe is the name given to new Corona jailbreak for iPhone4s and ipad2. Greenpois0n Absinthe supports the following iOS devices and firmwares:
- iPhone 4S running iOS 5.0, 5.0.1 (9A405 and 9A406)
- iPad 2 Wifi/GSM/CDMA running iOS 5.0.1
In addition Chronic Dev Team has also provided new jail break simple Graphic User Interface which guides easy steps and you just need to download and install the new jailbreak.
Also the new version of RedSn0w will be available soon by Dev team.
You can download jail break for A5 devices from below link:
A5 Jailbreak for Mac – Absinthe 0.1.2
Download Absinthe jailbreak tool for Windows
Posted in Absinthe, How to, iOS, iPhone4S, Jailbreak, Jailbreak Downloads, Untethered 5.0.1 Tagged with: a5, Absinthe, ipad 2, iphone 4s, jail break, jailbreak, Jailbreak News, release, untethered
How to jail break ipod touch
You can jail break your ipod touch 3 or 4 using the latest version of Sn0wbreeze. Similarly if you have already tried for jail break through RedSn0w and were facing errors you can use this tutorial for ipod touch jailbreak. This guide can be used for jailbreak ios 5.0.1 on iPhone 3gs, iPhone4, iPod Touch or iPad.
Note: Ensure that your ipod touch is having version 5.0.1 (although this jailbreak works with old versions also I suggest to update if you can), go to Settings —-> General —> About and check the Version it may be similar to “5.0.1(9A405)”. If it is not 5.0.1 try to update by going back to Settings —-> General —> “Software Update” or using iTunes. You can download latest iOS by visiting this link.
Once your ipod touch is updated to 5.0.1 now you follow these steps to jail break ipod touch.
1. Download latest Sn0wbreeze 2.9 by visiting this page.
2. Download the zip file and unzip in a folder. Open that folder and double click sn0wbreeze-v2.9.exe to see below screen, now click OK.
3. Now you can download or select the ipsw file which you shall use for jailbreaking ipod touch. The new version has the option of selecting you IPSW file if you have already downloaded this by clicking Browse or you can download directly from Sn0wbreeze window by clicking “iOS firmware are downloadable here” as shown in below screen shot (I recommend to use this option) make sure you have a fast internet connection.
4. Now you have the option of selecting your device and the firmware, after selecting the both options click Start Download. Connect your ipod touch to computer.
5. Wait until the software identifies your IPSW, click next and select “Expert Mode”
6. Select the option of “Build IPSW”
7. Sn0wBreeze will automatically complete the generation of custom IPSW (will take much time 15-20 minutes) the file will be saved on your computer.
8. Now you will put your ipod touch in DFU mode by just following screen instructions.
9. Turn off power of your ipod touch
10. Hold home and power for 10 seconds, now release power button but keep pressed Home button for 10 seconds and iTunes will popup in your Computer (if it doesn’t then run it.)
11. Your ipod touch should be visible in your iTunes left pane. Click your device in left pane and in middle of iTunes screen you have to press Restore but while holding the Shift Key.
12. iTunes will ask the location of custom firmware file which you generated using Sn0wbreeze locate on your computer by browsing and click done. iTunes will restore your ipod touch automatically which is now jailbroken untethered.
Jailbreak for iPhone4s and iPad2 is going to be released shortly if you want to be informed join my site below I will email you whenever it is released.
Posted in How to, iPod Touch, Jailbreak, Sn0wBreeze, Untethered 5.0.1 Tagged with: custom ipsw, How to jail break ipod touch, How to jailbreak ipod touch, jailbreak ipod, jailbreak ipod touch, Sn0wbreeze 2.9, untethered
iPad 2 was also jailbroken by pod2g after he released a video demonstrating that the iPhone4S jailbreak has been done. It was obvious that the jailbreak hack that was used for iPhone4s will also work on iPad2 since both are having same A5. As per the Pod2g in one of his latest blog post, the iPad 2 is fully untethered, as well. I hope the jailbreak for iPhone4s and iPad2 will be released within 2-3 days. Although it is late but we can wait and we don’t have any other choice. You can join my site below so that I can update you via email as soon as the jail break for iPhone 4S and iPad 2 is released.
Posted in Apple News, iOS, Jailbreak, Jailbreak Downloads, Untethered 5.0.1 Tagged with: iPad 2 Jailbreak 5.0.1, iPad2, untethered
If you are facing problems in jailbreaking your iPhone 3gs, iPhone4, iPod Touch or iPad by typical method of using RedSn0w you can try to jail break your ios 5.0.1 Sn0wbreeze 2.9 as mentioned in the step wise guide below:
You can download latest Sn0wbreeze by visiting this page.
- Download the zip file and unzip in a folder. Now double click sn0wbreeze-v2.9.exe you will see below screen then click OK.
2. Now you have the option of selecting you IPSW file if you have already downloaded this by clicking Browse or you can download directly from Sn0wbreeze window by clicking “iOS firmware are downloadable here” (I recommend to use this option) Connect your device to your computer.
3. Now you have the option of selecting your device and the firmware, after selecting the both options click Start Download.
4. Wait until the software identifies your IPSW, click next and select “Expert Mode”
5. Select the option of “Build IPSW”
6. Wait for Sn0wBreeze to complete the creation of custom IPSW (will take much time 15-20 minutes) the file will be saved on your computer.
7. Now you will put your device in DFU mode by just following screen instructions.
8. Turn off power of your device
9. Hold home and power for 10 seconds, now release power button but keep pressed Home button for 10 seconds and iTunes will popup in your Computer (if it doesn’t then run it.
10. Click your device in left pane and in middle of iTunes screen you have to press Restore but while holding the Shift Key.
11. iTunes will ask the custom firmware and click done. iTunes will restore your device automatically.
Posted in Jailbreak, Jailbreak Downloads, Sn0wBreeze, Untethered 5.0.1 Tagged with: 5.0.1, iOS, iphone jail break, jailbreak, Sn0wbreeze 2.9, untethered
A new version of Sn0wbreeze has been released at the second anniversary of the same by iH8Sn0w. The newly released version is Sn0wbreeze 2.9 that is equipped with the capabilities to jailbreak 5.0.1 Untethered on A4 iDevices. Iphone4s and iPad users must be curiously waiting for new jailbreak and their wait is not yet finished because this jailbreak is also not for iPhone 4S and iPad 2. This is compatible with iPhone4, iPhone 3gs, iPod Touch 4, iPod Touch 3 and iPad1.
You can download the new version of Sn0wbreeze by clicking the below link:
I am giving below the words from official Sn0wbreeze blog:
- Happy birthday sn0wbreeze!
- Brought back old firmware support in one release!
- GUI Improvements
- You can now build IPSWs with TinyUmbrella/iFaith blobs!
- Removes OTA Updates/badge on iOS 5.x.x+ devices.
- Added an IPSW Downloader
- Built-in iREB functionality updated from newest iREB r5 module.
- Custom Packages in Expert actually works now.
- All supported firmwares in this release are untethered.
- A5 devices are NOT supported at this time due to no public DFU/iBoot exploit.
You can join my site for updated news on iPhone4s and iPad2 jailbreaking.
Posted in iPhone4S, Jailbreak, Sn0wBreeze, Untethered 5.0.1 Tagged with: 2.9, jailbreak 5.0.1, Released, Sn0wBreeze, untethered
COMMON ERRORS IN JAILBREAKING IOS 5 OVER IPHONE, IPODT TOUCH AND IPAD
The most common error which almost all of us face when doing jail break first time is that our device doesn’t go into the DFU mode. You will face the error message ” DFU Mode Failed” on RedSn0w screen once it happens. First of all you have to ensure you are having iOS 5.0.1 go to Settings —> General and Version. If it is same check below steps. If it is old version update from your device if connected to WiFi or using iTunes.
Once this happens there can be various situations after this error which may be as under:
- Apple icon is displayed on the screen and nothing happening: Don’t worry what you have to do is press and hold both Power and Home buttons until the device turns off. Wait a while 10-15 seconds and press and hold both buttons together until you see Apple icon and immediately release power button and hold Home button pressed and device will go in DFU mode. If still it is showing same error sequence remove the cable from device and press and hold both buttons until it turns off and then turn it on normally. Then try to install jailbreak 5.0.1 again.
- You Device is restarting again and again: Just remove the cable from your device and see if it start restarting. If it doesn’t press and hold both Power and Home buttons together until the device becomes off or turns on normally. Now restart the jail break process as mentioned in my guide on How to Jailbreak 5.0.1 for iPhone4, iPad and iPod Touch.
- Your device is showing icon of USB and iTunes like you turned it oN first time after purchase
Don’t worry just remove the cable from device and press and Hold both Power and Home buttons until it turns off or restarts. If still you are having same error try 2-3 times to enter in DFU mode as mentioned above or in my guide on How to Jailbreak 5.0.1 after connecting it to your PC. If still problem persists I suggest to Restore your iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad using iTunes and retry the jail break.
You can join my site to receive updates in your email.
Posted in ERRORS, How to, Jailbreak, Tips & Tricks, TWEAKS, Untethered 5.0.1 Tagged with: dfu mode, errors, jailbreak problem, not going in DFU mode, stuck iphone, untethered
Thanks to Chronic development team and iPhone Development team who have released the latest iOS 5.0.1 jailbreak with the help of pod2g. This release is 0.9.10 beta 1 version of RedSn0w and very easy to install and jailbreak. If you are having following devices running on iOS 5.0.1 you can jailbreak using your computer. Download RedSn0w by clicking below link and visit my article How to Jailbreak iOS 5.0.1 Untethered iPhone 4, 3GS, iPad, iPod Touch 4G, 3G for step wise guide. You can also watch the video at the same page before starting the jailbreak process.
If your device is already jailbroken with older versions of RedSn0w it means it is tethered and needs upgrade. Just run Cydia go to Search and Type Corona 5.0.1 Untethered Tap it and select Install and then Confirm. Within few seconds it will download the upgrade and your device is jailbroken untethered.
The supported devices are as under (should be running latest version of iOS i.e. 5.0.1)
iPhone 4 (CDMA)
iPod Touch 4G
iPod Touch 3G
Posted in How to, Jailbreak, Jailbreak Downloads, RedSn0w, Untethered 5.0.1 Tagged with: 3g, 3gs, download jailbreak, download redsnow, download redsnow jailbreak, ipad, iPhone 4, iPod Touch 4G, Jailbreak iOS 5.0.1, new red snow, new redsn0w, new redsnow, redsn0w 0.9.10b1, redsn0w latest, untethered, version