November 12, 2012 By Muz Khan
Sn0wbreeze is an alternatives jailbreak tool that you can use to jailbreak you device instead of using typical Redsn0w jailbreak tool. The snowbreeze jailbreak works in the same way only it is a little different in way of installation i.e as compared to Redsn0w that installs a payload on your device and snowbreeze constructs the custom ipsw while jailbreaking your device. The custom ipsw that is generated by jailbreaking using s0wbreeze can be used later for downgrading and restoring your device’s baseband.
The latest update was announced today by iH8Sn0w giving the sn0wbreeze 2.9.7 that is compatible to jailbreake iPhone 3GS and A4 devices on iOS 6.0.1.
If you want to jailbreak 6.0.1 using snowbreeze you can check my old tutorial on How To Jailbreak Using SnowBreeze, just follow the steps but use the latest version of snowbreeze.
What is New?
● Added 6.0 (10A403)/6.0.1 (10A523) support. (Only includes iPhone 3GS & A4 devices).
● The 6.0/6.0.1 is currently a tethered based jailbreak via iBooty (except for iPhone 3GS old bootrom users).
● SAM is built-in for iOS 6 hacktivations. (Hacktivated phones can reboot to a semi-tethered state after being activated [rather than just hang at the Apple Logo]). Kudos @sbingner!
● Use iFaith mode after selecting/downloading the appropriate IPSW for your device. You will then be prompted to browse for SHSH blobs for the IPSW you have selected.
● Remember to enter a PWNED DFU state with sn0wbreeze’s iREB button in the top bar of sn0wbreeze prior to (SHIFT + Restoring) the custom signed IPSW!
iREB & iOS 6:
Due to some changes in iOS 6, the current public standalone version of iREB will NOT enter a proper PWNED DFU state for restoring to custom iOS 6 IPSWs. An update for the standalone version should come sometime this week. In the meantime, use the iREB tab located in sn0wbreeze’s top status bar to enter a proper PWNED DFU state.
As stated many times in the past, sn0wbreeze cannot be updated to work on A5(X)/A6(X) devices until a low level exploit in DFU or iBoot is found and made public.
A5(X)/A6(X) Baseband Preservation/Hacktivation?
For those running A5(X)/A6(X) devices and need to preserve your baseband, there is nothing you can do at the moment. For those wanting to hacktivate, the only advice I can give is to buy the carrier’s SIM (the one its locked to obviously) on ebay. The SIM does not have to be active with the carrier to activate the phone.
● Windows 8 users currently need to use this workaround to run sn0wbreeze.
● iPad baseband will fail to flash on iOS 4.0 –> iOS 4.2.1 restores.
● iPod Touch 2G 4.x.x restores fail.
You can download Sn0wbreeze 2.9.7 from our free jailbreak download page.