Before proceeding to the jailbreak process please note the following important points:
- This jailbreak has been tested and works for iDevices running iOS 5.0/ 5.0.1 over iPhone 3/3GS, iPhone 4 and iPod Touch, but not with iPad 2 and iPhone 4S which will be available soon.
- For jailbreak on iPhone4S and iPad 2 please provide your email below and click Subscribe, so that we can inform you as soon as it is available (You can cancel later).
Watch this video before proceeding to the jailbreak.
- Also note that this is a tethered jailbreak this means that you need computer every time you boot your idevice. And before using your device you will have to run Redsn0w again.
- Supported Devices for this tutorial are iPhone4, iPod touch 3G, iPod touch 4G, iPad 1, iPhone3GS, iPhone4 (CDMA)
Steps to jailbreak iOS 5.0.1 over iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch
1. Update your device with iOS 5 / 5.0.1. Click here to download.
3. Unzip/extract the RedSn0w downloaded file and open the folder (see below screen). Double click RedSn0w.exe executable file:
4. RedSn0w will run and you will see following screen on your computer.
5. Now connect your iDevice with the computer and turn it off by pushing power button and sliding to power off.
6. Now select “Jailbreak and Install Cydia” and click Next
5. It will start processing data and device will go in DFU mode, now you have to do the following steps as shown on screen shot. Do whenever these are highlighted while processing.
- Hold Down the Power button for 1 second.
- Without releasing the power button press and hold the Home button (bottom center) for 10 seconds.
- Without releasing the Home button release the power button but keep holding the Home button for 15 seconds.
6. No you will see next screen to install Cydia select the first option “Install Cydia” and click Next
7. After the RedSn0w installation is completed you will get a done message. Congratulations Your device is now jailbroken.
Final Step: Now you need boot your device through redsn0w since it is tethered. Start as in step 3 up to step 6 to execute the RedSn0w. Select the Extra and then Just boot. Your Device will reboot tethered.
Important Note: If you will reboot your device untethered i.e. without redsn0w your jailbreak applications may crash like Cydia and Safari. So you need your computer to reboot your device if you need so.
If this tutorial works for you please give comments and share with your friends. Subscribe to our updates for keeping yourself updated on jailbreaking and Apple updates.