I received many emails from my blog readers that they have upgraded to iOS 5.1 once it was prompted by the automatic update and now they want to degrade ios 5.1 due to two reasons either they have lost their untethered 5.0.1 jailbreak or they want to get untethered jailbreak on ios 5.0.1 or 5.0 since only tethered jailbreak is available for ios 5.1 till now. Also some of them has upgraded on iPhone 4S and iPad 2 which can not be even jailbroken tethered.
The day ios 5.1 was released I informed my blog readers to not upgrade to new ios 5.1 since it does not have jailbreak and also I recommended to save your SHSH blobs so that you can degrade to previous ios version if upgraded to 5.1 due to any reason.
Below I have given step wise guide about How to downgrade to previous iOS version on iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad from the iOS 5.1 firmware to the iOS 5.0.1 or iOS 5.0. firmware.
Please Note: You can downgrade on iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPad 1G, iPod Touch 4G, iPod Touch 3G, BUT NOT on iPhone 4S and iPad 2. You should have saved the SHSH blobs previously using iFaith or any other tool like TinyUmbrella and you should have saved that file for previous version. We will use the iFaith to save SHSH blobs that runs only on Windows.
Do the following downloads before starting degrade process.
- Click Here to Download iFaith latest version
- Click to Download iOS Firmware File (To which you want to degrade and you have saved SHSH blobs before)
Steps to downgrade From iOS 5.1 to iOS 5.0.1 or iOS 5.0
Step 1: Create Custom Firmware File
- Double click the .exe file to run the iFaith.Click the OK button after reading the warning.
- There are four buttons Click the first one Build *Signed* IPSW w/Blobs
- Next window will ask to browse for the SHSH blobs cache file that you have created during SHSH blobs saving process. (If you have not done SHSH blob saving before sorry you can not degrade)
- On next screen iFaith will ask to browse for the iOS firmware (ios 5.0.1 or ios 5.0 firmware) file which you have downloaded, browse and locate. Alternativly you can directly give command to iFaith so that it can download the firmware file for you.
- Now iFaith will create a custom firmware file for you and save it on your hard disk.
Step 2: Put Your Device in DFU (Direct Firmware Update) Mode
If you know the procedure of putting your device in DFU mode just do it and connect your device to your computer while iTunes is running it will prompt that a device is detected in DFU mode.
You can put your device in DFU mode using iREB utility available in iFaith, go to main menu and click DFU Pwner(iREB) the fourth button in iFaith main Window. Just follow the onscreen instructions to put your device in DFU mode.
Or you can check this post for How to put your iphone, ipod, ipad in DFU mode
Step 3: Restore Using iTunes
itunes will detect your device automatically and show on left pane select your device and you will see Restore button in the middle window of iTUnes.
Now holding the Shift button in Windows or Option/Alt button in Mac click the Restore button. iTunes will ask you the custome firmware file browse and locate the recently created firmware file. The restore process will start and it will take much time and once finished your device will restart normally with degraded iOS version.
If you receive the iTunes error 3194, I recommend to create your custom firmware file using the TinyUmbrella and then try restoring in iTunes the Error 3194 will be rectified. Download TinyUmbrella.